Get Your RSA Card and Boost Your Career in the Hospitality Industry

What is an RSA Card?


An RSA card, also known as a Responsible Service of Alcohol card, is a certification that individuals working in the hospitality industry must obtain to server alcohol in NSW. This card signifies that the holder has completed the necessary training to responsibly serve alcohol and ensure the safety and well-being of both customers and staff.

You can read more about it here; 

Why is an RSA Card Important?

Obtaining an RSA card is crucial for anyone working in establishments where alcohol is served, such as bars, restaurants, hotels, and clubs. The primary goal of this certification is to promote responsible alcohol service and reduce potential harm associated with excessive consumption.

The importance of an RSA card lies in its ability to:

  • Promote Safety: By completing the required training, individuals gain knowledge on how to identify signs of intoxication and handle difficult situations effectively. This helps create a safer environment for both customers and staff.
  • Prevent Underage Drinking: An RSA card ensures that those serving alcohol are aware of their legal obligations regarding age verification. This helps prevent underage individuals from accessing alcoholic beverages.
  • Maintain Compliance: Many jurisdictions have specific laws and regulations related to responsible alcohol service. Holding an RSA card demonstrates compliance with these requirements.
  • Increase Employability: Having an RSA certification can significantly enhance job prospects within the hospitality industry. Employers often prioritise candidates who already possess this qualification.

RSA Card Eligibility

To be eligible for a competency card, you must meet the following criteria:

To be eligible for the competency card application, you must meet the following criteria:

  1. Successfully completed an approved NSW RSA or RCG training course with an approved training provider.
  2. Received an RSA or RCG interim certificate.
  3. Not previously applied for a competency card.

What You Need:

In order to proceed with your application, you will require the following documents and information:

  1. Your RSA or RCG interim certificate, issued by an approved NSW training provider within the last 5 years.
  2. Your 100 points of ID documents – acceptable document types can be found on the back of the interim certificate.
  3. Ensure that your personal details on your course completion certificate match your ID. Any minor discrepancies, such as spelling errors or typos, can be corrected at Service NSW.

Name Change Documentation:

If you have changed your name from what is shown on your identity documents, you must provide proof of your name change. Acceptable documents include:

  • Australian marriage certificate (Registry issued).
  • Overseas marriage certificate (with official translation).
  • Change of name certificate (Registry issued).
  • Proof of divorce (Family Court).

The Process of Obtaining an RSA Card

To obtain an RSA card, individuals must complete a certified Responsible Service of Alcohol course. These courses are typically offered by registered training organisations (RTOs) approved by relevant government authorities.

The RSA training covers various topics, including:

  • Understanding the effects of alcohol on individuals
  • Recognising signs of intoxication
  • Applying harm minimisation strategies
  • Dealing with difficult customers or situations
  • Complying with legal requirements and regulations

The duration and delivery method of the course may vary depending on the RTO. Some offer face-to-face training sessions, while others provide online courses for convenience.

Maintaining an RSA Card

An RSA card typically has an expiration date, usually ranging from one to three years. To maintain a valid RSA certification, individuals must undergo refresher training before their card expires.

This refresher training ensures that those holding an RSA card remain up-to-date with current laws, regulations, and best practices in responsible alcohol service.

An RSA card is an essential certification for anyone working in the hospitality industry in NSW. It demonstrates a commitment to responsible alcohol service and promotes a safer environment for both customers and staff. By obtaining this certification, individuals enhance their employability and comply with legal requirements related to serving alcohol responsibly.

If you’re interested in learning more about responsible alcohol service, visit our RSA web page: RSA Ultimate Guide.

Chat to an advisor

Chat to one of our trainers

Our team are here to help with your questions